Welcome to my Blog!

Please follow my blog to track my progress as I train with Team in Training to run in the San Antonio Rock and Roll half marathon while fundraising money for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society! My goal is to raise $3000 by October 29, 2010.

Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Friends, Charity, Wine

What an amazing weekend!! I had the most productive, busy and fun weekend! I ran a total of 19 miles and raised $92.50 by standing in front of Wal-Mart and I both was both the giver and the receiver of incredible generosity!

I knew this weekend was going to be long. I don't think I mentioned it before, but I joined two choirs and I have started a Theology class at St. Mary's University. I knew that I had to do my TNT run on Saturday morning, sing the choir on Sunday Morning, attend a party Sunday evening and find time to do my readings for school....good thing it was a long weekend...

But then I added to it as I wanted to run in the San Antonio Road Runners' Whine Run and I had signed up to fundraise in front of the Wal-Mart at 410 and Rigsby. How was I going to do all of this? I didn't think it was possible, so I decided to back out of the Fundraiser.

I had thought of every excuse as to why to back out, but the most prevalent one was that I had no supplies. I had no table, signage, bucket - I had nothing! There was a part of me that wanted to do this fundraiser as I am worried about making my fundraising goal and I knew that I needed the money....but how would I raise anything without supplies?

That is where all my Team in Training friends came in as they lent me everything I needed to "beg" for money at Wal-Mart. In fact, my mentor had already planned to be there for the earlier shift so she said that she would leave her stuff there for me to use after her. I no longer had any excuse not to do it!

So I went and my friend, Amanda, came along to help me. Together we stood outside in the blazing heat and solicited money for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. After about 10 minutes, I was feeling fried and I began to worry about being sunburned. I tried to get into the shade, but the employees said that we had to be at least 15 feet away from the entrance....

I decided to go into the store and buy some sun screen. As I got into the check out line, there was a lady with three small children in front of me. She was trying to purchase groceries but was informed her coupons were for H-E-B and not Wal-Mart. She was removing items from her cart, mostly baby food and nutrients for her children, trying to get her total down to something more affordable.

It is funny how one minute you are thinking, "I am so busy, I am so hot, I need this, I want that....I, I, I" and the next minute you see only others. I asked myself, "How could I stand there and let this woman walk out of the store without the baby food for her children?" So I said to her, "Please, let me buy these for you." I felt that I was supposed to be at that Wal-Mart for her. All the excuses I had to not go, all the people that helped me to be there - it was all so that I could be there for her. It was a powerful feeling.

After that, Amanda and I stood outside for a grueling 2 hours. We were supposed to be there for 4 hours, but it was too hot and we couldn't take it. So we left. All in all, we raised $92.60!

I did run 14 miles Saturday morning. My foot started to hurt around mile 10 again, but I noticed that it hurt more when I walked, so I decided to run the last 4 miles. I ran slowly, but I ran the whole time and finished. I am planning to see my doctor about my foot as I am concerned about it.

On Monday, I ran 5 Miles in the SARR Whine Run. It was five miles of nothing but hills and I ran it non-stop. Thank God for all that hill training last month as I was able to complete it in 1 hour and 14 minutes! The amazing part was as I ran in, my friend, Eileen, came out to run me in. She grabbed my hand and then I noticed the entire R.U.N. group cheering for me. I had an instant surge of adrenaline and ran faster than I have even run in my life! It was amazing!

After the run we went to the Dry Comal Creek Winery where we imbibed in some of the best Sangria ever. The after party was awesome and the winery even donated a wine tasting for 10 people to my silent auction!

So, I would definitely classify this weekend as one of the best! Now I just need another weekend to recover :-)

Till Next Time,


Training Log for Week Thirteen:
  • Mon, August 30: Ran 2.43 miles at Hardberger Park in 38 minutes (15 min/mile).
  • Wed, September 1: Ran 3.29 miles at Tobin Park in 46 minutes (14 min/mile).
  • Sat: September 4: Ran 14.1 miles through Olmos Basin. Finished in 3 Hours and 37 minutes (15 min/mile).

1 comment:

  1. I'm excited about tomorrow night! Wine always puts me in a good mood :)