Welcome to my Blog!

Please follow my blog to track my progress as I train with Team in Training to run in the San Antonio Rock and Roll half marathon while fundraising money for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society! My goal is to raise $3000 by October 29, 2010.

Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Down but not Out!

Ok, so my Airrosti treatments have been helping but when I tried to run my 16 miles, my pain came back around mile 12. Because of this and other factors, Dr. Rios sent me in for an X-ray and I received the results back today. In addition to plantar facsiitis, I also have heel spurs and a stress fracture :-(

Dr. Rios said that I will need to rest my foot for a couple of weeks and then I can start low-impact exercises such as biking and swimming, etc. I also talked it over with one of my Team in Training coaches, Marissa, and she suggested that I take up cycling as well as aqua jogging. Aqua jogging involves wearing a special belt that allows you to float upright in a pool and then you "jog" in the deep end. It gives you all the benefits of running without the impact.

Dr. Rios and I discussed the plan of cycling and aqua jogging to maintain my endurance levels while my foot heals and then running the half-marathon in November. He seemed to think that it sounded reasonable - so I will try it out. He also agreed that it may be a good idea to consult with my regular doctor, Dr. Cannon, for additional treatment. I am thinking of seeing him to see if I should try cortisone injections or any other medications that may help speed my recovery time.

Anyway, I do not have a bike (I used to have one but I gave it away due to non-use....if only I knew then what I know now)... But my friend Debbie is going to lend me her bike. It is a men's bike, but I don't have a problem with that. I also just went onto Amazon.com and purchased bike shorts, a bike rack and the aqua jogger system.

In all honestly, I am feeling really down about this set back. In fact, I cried when Dr. Rios laid out the bad news...but as soon as I got off the phone, I had to make a decision. Did I want to play the victim, see this as a failure and feel sorry for myself? Or did I want to put on a brave face, make some lemonade and do my absolute best to reach my goal? Really what choice do I have? I will go out fighting. I have worked hard to train for the marathon and I am determined to see it through.

Funny how I thought the training would be the easier part....I have met my fundraising goal and am now struggling with the training!!

Please send me your comments. Despite my brave face, I really need some inspiration and encouragement!!!

Till Next Time,

Julia



Training Log for Week Sixteen:
  • Mon, September 20: Ran 4.2 miles through Hardberger Park in 57 minutes (14 min/mile)
  • Wed, September 22: Ran 3.5 miles through Tobin Park in 49 minutes (14 min/mile)
  • Sat: September 18: Ran 12.5 miles through Olmos Basin. Finished in 3 Hours and 7 minutes (15 min/mile). I did a great job on this run until my foot became too painful...I fell out at about mile 12 or so...

My last Team in Training Run for a while....I was so proud of myself because I was able to keep up with these awesome ladies for about 4-5 miles! It was awesome!

No comments:

Post a Comment