Welcome to my Blog!

Please follow my blog to track my progress as I train with Team in Training to run in the San Antonio Rock and Roll half marathon while fundraising money for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society! My goal is to raise $3000 by October 29, 2010.

Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Setting New Records!!!

Hey y'all, so this week I set a new record as I ran 8 miles on Saturday! Woo Hoo! 8 miles - woot woot! Anyway, I have been running intervals. According to a spreadsheet I received from my TNT coaches, my optimum interval (based on my pace) is 2/1 - run for two minutes and walk for one.

Its amazing because everything that they have been teaching has really been working. Running intervals is supposed to help because you allow your body to rest and slow down the build up of lactic acid in your muscles. So that means that you can run faster when you are running and you won't be so sore the next day. They also teach that low-fat chocolate milk is a good recovery drink after a run and they taught us to use what's called a foam roller after the run. So I did it, I ran intervals on the 8 mile run, then I drank low-fat chocolate milk and used the foam roller and guess what?! I was not even sore the next day!! It was quite amazing...

So this coming week, we will be hitting the double digits. I am running 10 miles this Saturday and I am curious to see if I am as successful.

Another thing that was excited about this week was that instead of running on Thursday, I went to a Zumba class at the McNay Museum of Art. They had three instructors from the Spectrum Athletic Club who alternated leading the dances. We did everything from Cumbia, Meringue, Greek style dancing, Bollywood dancing, Belly dancing and African style dancing. It was an awesome experience because of the atmosphere. Being in the museum and dancing so many cultural dances really made me feel like I was a part of the art that makes the Museum so beautiful.

I am also doing good in fundraising as well. I am planning my fundraiser, I have several items for the silent auction such as handmade jewelry, 100 cup commercial grade coffee maker, teeth whitening from my dentist and I am working on a lot more. I am trying to get a weekend getaway package at a local hotel, some restaurant gift certificates and maybe some Spurs items. We will see, but I am excited!

So that is about it for now. I am super busy in other ares of my life. I am currently working on a project at work that will be one of the determining factors to whether or not I am promoted, I went to a party at a friend's house on Saturday where we were up until 2 in the morning playing board games and laughing so hard it made my head hurt and I may be selected to be on the Pastoral Council at my Church...so I am a busy woman!!

But it is all a good busy. I am busy and have little time to myself anymore, but I feel so much more confident and self-reliant than I ever have in my entire life. I am so excited to see this new direction my life has taken and I hope I can continue to keep up with it because I like where it is going!

Anyway, for all of you that read my blog. I appreciate you so much. Please send me a note or comment and let me know who you are. Take care!

Lots of Love,

Julia


Training Log for Week Eight:
  • Mon, July 26: Ran 2.45 miles at the Phil Hardberger park in 40 minutes (16 min/mile)
  • Tues, July 27: Ran 3.25 miles at the San Antonio Riverwalk in 45 minutes (14 min/mile)
  • Thurs, July 29: Danced Zumba at the McNay Museum for 1 Hour.
  • Sat: July 31: Ran 8.1 miles at Brackenridge Park. Finished in 2 Hours and 5 minutes (15 min/mile).

No comments:

Post a Comment