Welcome to my Blog!

Please follow my blog to track my progress as I train with Team in Training to run in the San Antonio Rock and Roll half marathon while fundraising money for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society! My goal is to raise $3000 by October 29, 2010.

Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Was Blind, but Now I See

Please forgive my delay in updating this week. I had a very, very busy weekend! On Friday, July 16, 2010 - I had LASIK eye surgery! It was so amazing! I spent a long time trying to decide if I wanted to get it done, but I finally got tired of spending money year after year for glasses, contacts, etc...so I said, why not?!

I did a lot of searching around, TLC Laser Eye Center, LasikPlus, etc...but in the end, I went with a private practice. Dr. Edward Rashid, MD is the best opthamologist in San Antonio and he is the Spur's Doctor. When I researched him, I saw nothing but good reviews...when I researched the other companies, I saw that they had complaints on the Better Business Bureau as well as Consumer Reports. I couldn't find any physician stats on one of the doctors, in fact, it didn't even look like she was licensed to practice medicine in Texas. Also, one company had a class action law suit against them.

So I asked myself...do I want to go with the best doctor in San Antonio, the Doctor that the Spurs trust with their vision needs, the doctor that several people told me was awesome and that I was in good hands with him? Or did I want to go to the franchise one-stop shop, who have received many complaints, have questionable doctors and who have been know to renege on their "guarantees"? Well, I think the answer was obvious - Of course, Dr. Rashid hands down!

So, once I made that decision, I met with him and his staff. They were awesome! I could tell that he really cared about my eyesight and my results. He told me the truth and was not shy to say that I may not be a good candidate. In fact, he sent me in for additional testing to be sure that I would be a good candidate. In the end, he gave me his seal of approval and my date was set.

In Photo: Abigail, Amy, Dr. Rashid, Lisa and
Paula - the wonderful staff who restored my vision!
On July 16, 2010, I went in to the Alamo Laser Vision Center not able to see my hand in front of me without my glasses and minutes later I was able to walk out with 20/20 vision. There was some discomfort during the procedure; however, overall, it was an awesome experience. They explain to you many times what they will do and what to expect, which really helped because I was thinking, 'Oh, ok, now they are creating the flap.' It was almost like being on a medical show, except I was the show...

I like to describe the experience as riding the Space Mountain rollar coaster. When you walk in, you are terrified....but you decided to put on a brave face and just go into the operating room. There is some slight discomfort and pressure. You stare at a red light admist bright circular lights, then everything goes black except the red light. Suddenly, you see a neon purple light which lasted about 30 seconds per eye and then it was over.

I wasn't really able to keep my eyes open after the procedure. But I took a nap and when I woke up, I felt good. I even watched a movie! And the best part of this weekend, other than being able to see, was that I spent the entire weekend with my family. It was great! I stayed at my parent house, we shared all meals and spent a lot of time together - it felt really nice to spend so much time with my family.

So, I had my first follow-up appointment with my doctor on Saturday (where I could see 20/20) and so I missed the Team in Training Run. However, I did get in a 4 mile run/walk with my brother Saturday afternoon.

Finally, I am doing very well with my fundraising. I have $725 posted and another $125 to turn in. I have $850 and only $2150 to go!

I have a fund raising event this Saturday at Taco Cabana and I am still planning my Gala event/Silent Auction. I have found a caterer who will give me an awesome deal on an enchilada dinner...so all I need now is a venue and I am set!

Til next time!

Julia

Training Log for Week Six:
  • Tue, July 13: Ran 2.17 miles at the University of Texas in San Antonio in 33 minutes (15 min/mile)
  • Wed: July 14: Ran 3.4 miles on the University of Incarnate Word track in 49 minutes (15 min/mile)
  • Sat: July 17: Ran 4.23 miles at Rogers Ranch. Finished in 1 Hour and 7 minutes (15 min/mile).

This will be the last running picture of me wearing glasses!!

No comments:

Post a Comment