Welcome to my Blog!

Please follow my blog to track my progress as I train with Team in Training to run in the San Antonio Rock and Roll half marathon while fundraising money for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society! My goal is to raise $3000 by October 29, 2010.

Tuesday, June 8, 2010

The Joys of Fundraising

Ok, so if any of you know me, you probably know that I am a bit crazy! I am slightly obsessive when I get into something and so I am totally obsessed with fundraising. I have created little business cards to hand out to people, I have written almost 240 letters to everyone I know...though I have yet to send them, and I have already scheduled two fundraising events. I already have $50 (Oh yeah, I got another $25 donation - Thanks so much Joe G.!) and I haven't really initiated my fundraising plans...I am still in the planning stages.

But yet I am sooooo worried that I am not going to make it. Can I really raise $3,000 by October? I don't know, but I am going to work hard to do it. Some people make it sound so easy...but it seems really hard. I mean $3,000 is a lot of money...

I just keep reminding myself about why I am doing this...I have heard so many stories, some inspiring, some very sad about patients with blood cancer. Some people have survived and others have not. It is so sad...especially the children.

So I think of all the children that will suffer every day from some form of blood cancer, of every parent that will grieve the loss of their child...or celebrate their victory over the disease... I think of them and then I feel my motivation renewed and I am determined.

That is when the other fears come into play. The fears that I have not spent much time with because I have been so busy worrying about fundraising... Can I really run 13.1 miles?

You know, if you have visited my fundraising web site, you would know that I issued a challenge. If I can raise 26.2% above my goal (that's an additional $786), I will run the full marathon. Am I Nuts?!?

I struggle with running 4 miles...is it possible to run 13...or *gulp* 26?

Well, I know that there are a lot of people cheering me on. I know that once I send my letters and emails, people will start donating...and as I raise more money, my determination will increase too because I know that those people are in my corner, cheering me on...

So, good night for now. I will hopefully have all my letters and emails sent by this weekend...and if I am really lucky, maybe I will get another donation this weekend too!


Love,

Julia


P.S. My first official training with Team in Training is tomorrow...wish me luck!!

No comments:

Post a Comment